Routine Dental Checkups in Willow Grove
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays to detect any decay, tumors, cysts, and/or bone loss.
- Oral cancer screening. The doctor will check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gingival (gum) Evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of teeth: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments. The doctor will also check all existing fillings and crowns to ensure that everything in intact and there are no issues.
Professional Dental Cleanings
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by a Hygienist or the Doctor. They are important because a professional with special dental tools can access all of the hard to reach places on your teeth and clean the areas patients have trouble with. Your cleaning appointment will include the following.
- Removal of calculus (aka tartar): Calculus is a hardened dental plaque that is firmly attached to the tooth surface like cement. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can’t be brushed away with a toothbrush. It can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that can inflame the gums
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Call (215) 657-3000 to schedule your dental exam and cleaning.